SB11

Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Jan 21 08:44:07 CST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 09:06 -0500, Francesca C. Smith wrote:

> Ahh well no Line time clock is a gotcha. :-) Would have been a little easier
> to Divine its true use if the complement of cards were still in it.

Doesn't mean you can't add one.  You could use a small transformer to
generate it really from the line, or a little crystal oscillator and
divider.

In fact, if I was going to make an add-in LTC I'd use one of the little
8-pin microcontrollers, programmed to generate 50Hz or 60Hz from a GPIO
pin.  "Overkill!" I hear some of the list regulars shout (and you know
who you are, too).  Not a bit of it - compare a 12C509 with the cost of
even a "common" crystal...

> Well then what use would this be to a hobbyist other than the obvious hollow
> it out and stick a PC MB in it and create some Sim pdp11 thing ??

I'd build a little dinky PDP11 in it, with an added-on LTC as described
above so I could run TSX+.  I kind of miss my PDP11, and I'd like to get
another (smaller) one.

Gordon