FSOT Seequa Chameleon

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 09:29:57 CST 2009

Jim Battle wrote:
> Jules Richardson wrote:
>> Steve Robertson wrote:
>>> I'm not
>>> going to give it away but am willing to take a "reasonable" offer.
>>> Otherwise, it goes to the dump.
>>
>> Hmm - I'm struggling with the concept of "I want money for it or I'm
>> going to throw it away for nothing".
>
> Steve can speak for himself, but my guess is the thinking is like this.

Yeah, I guess the vague threat of it being buried in landfill if someone with
a conscience doesn't pay for it just disagreed with me; I'm perfectly happy
with "I've got some old equipment and I want money in return".

I suspect I was just grumpy yesterday, too :-)

> (2) tossing it out takes no time, money, or supplies

Yes, I should give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they haven't
heard of Freecycle :)

> Another possible angle is: there are many people who will take things
> for free who don't really need it since it is free.  Someone willing to
> pay for it is more likely to really need/appreciate it.

That's an interesting one, and not one I'd thought of before! I've known more
collectors who take free (or beer money) items and need/appreciate it than I
have collectors who pay real money for things, but that's only my personal
experience.

> I've given things away for free on craigslist, had people claim
> interest, then when it comes time to come get it, I hear: boy, you are
> far away; can you drive 10-15 miles to make it easier for me?

The ones that really annoy me are the collectors who do so purely for the
purpose of taking free items and throwing them on ebay. Shame you can't email
ebay a serial number and say "don't let this item ever appear on your website" ;-)

cheers

Jules