FSOT Seequa Chameleon

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 14:25:01 CST 2009

> > Frankly, at this point, I don't know what a reasonable offer is.  But
> > I can assure you my time and effort is worth more than a few pennies.
>
> Sure, but I suspect there's a terminological mismatch here.  There are
> a number of people here, including me, to whom "giving away" means
> "cover shipping plus a bit over for time, trouble, and materials".
> (Exactly what "a bit over" means is, of course, always open to debate
> and, usually, negotiation, but the details don't affect the principle.)

I would agree. I am often something of a cheapskate, sure, but I wouldn't
expect (or even ask) somebody to do something for me (like packing up a
machine and taking it to the shipping place) for nothing. I would expect
to pay for that.

Similarly, of course, if the positions were reveresed, I wouldn't expect
to have to take the time to pack it up for no reward. I might _offer_ to
do it, expeically if it was for a friend, but I wouldn't regard it as
somethign that should be expected of me.

I also regard the shipping costs (my which I don't just mean the payment
to the shipping company, but also the cost of the packing materials and a
payment for the sender's time) to be independant of the value of the
machine or, indeed, how much I paid for it (those 2 aren't the same
either!). Many times I've boght things and paind 5 times as much for the
shipping as I paid for the unit. And I am happy about that.