Pete Turnbull pete at
Fri Jan 23 18:19:09 CST 2009

On 23/01/2009 23:57, Tom Hudson wrote:
> many types of course. Generally speaking do the materials used in pc's from
> the 80s fall into a single category? Everything is injected into a mold for
> sure, from largish cases to tiny keytops. Would all this qualify as
> polystyrene?

Almost none of it is.  ABS is one of the most common plastics, but 
you'll find others, including PVC, glass-filled nylon, polypropylene, 
HDPE, and more.

>  Many surfaces are anything but smooth. Has anyone tried, given they were
> successful in melding the surface, in reproducing the look of the surface
> surrounding it? Smooth surfaces can be melded then touched up lightly
> w/ultra fine emery cloth and some sort of lubricant I would guess. But the
> rough textures are a different story.

If it's a really small area I've sometimes tried stippling with a fine 
brush after applying a tiny amount of solvent, or "ragging" it with a 
wad of suitably textured cloth (wadded into a ball and applied like a 
stippler).  Perhaps it's just my lack of skill, but I'd describe the 
results as disguises rather than matching repairs.

Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager
						University of York

More information about the cctalk mailing list