ASCII Art

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Sun Jan 25 19:30:07 CST 2009

    Some time ago, I was looking for the FORTRAN program or data deck used
to print the large Mona Lisa picture that I saw back in the '70s.  I was
directed to Dave Gesswein's PDP-8 site, and a collection of vintage ASCII
art files:

http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/ascii_art/

    A 2-page wide version of the Mona Lisa was there, along with Buzz
Aldrin on the moon, Spock holding a model of the Enterprise and a huge
picture of the moon.  These were all designed to be printed on a chain or
drum printer using overstrike to create pseudo grayscale values.  I
printed off several images on a Data General LDM-800 line matrix printer,
and was happy with the results.

    Several of the print files had the name "Sam Harbison" on them, from
Princeton in 1973.  I managed to locate an email address for Sam, and sent
him a note asking about the process used in creating those pictures.  With
his permission, I posted his response on my ASCII Art page:

http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ASCII/

    He gives a very detailed explanation about the process.  Photos of my
printouts are there, as well.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Old Technology	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/