Thrift store score: HP LJ4L

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 26 12:53:28 CST 2009

On Jan 26, 2009, at 11:38 AM, Alexandre Souza wrote:

>    I don't see too much value on these all-plastic-printers. I have
> a 4Plus (now 4MPlus, added postscript and tens of megabytes of ram,
> and also a jetdirect) for YEARS and it is still going strong. I do
> love my printer :) All-steel and very durable construction :D

   Indeed, those are amazing printers.  My mother has a 4MPlus that I
just decommissioned; it finally started to wear out, with about a
million prints on the page counter.  I bought it used and pretty beat
up from a surplus dealer in ~1998, it saw daily duty in a small
office printing stuff for about five people for several years, then
it was stored in a very hot storage locker for about four years, and
then it spent two years printing a LOT of stuff for my mother's
business.  It just never gave up!

   Anyway, it started needing more and more attention recently; it
seems it was just wearing out.  I got her an HP 8100DN (like mine)
from another surplus dealer, and she loves it.  It is every bit as
well-constructed as the 4MPlus, and a fantastic performer.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL