Can anyone identify this terminal?

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Sat Jan 31 06:38:22 CST 2009

On Friday (01/30/2009 at 04:08PM -0700), Richard wrote:

> In article <a7fd63fa0901301248q37a14569w44258e06d931a72e at mail.gmail.com>,
>     Seth Morabito <sethm at loomcom.com>  writes:
>
> > A friend forwarded me this YouTube link today:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WCTn4FljUQ
> > [...]
> > Anyone know what kind of terminal this is?  I'd freaking LOVE to have
> > one of those on my desk.
>
> Being the resident terminal freak on this list, its not one that I
> recognize.  However, I would guess that it was part of the turnkey
> system sold to the newspaper.  Notice that these terminals are on
> almost every journalist's desk in the wide shots.

Could they possibly be 3M "SilentWriters"??  3M once built both a thermal
printer with keyboard, a lot like a little TI Silent 700, which they
called the WhisperWriter.  And then they had a CRT terminal called the
SilentWriter.  I suggest this because of the characteristic brown keyboard
that those units had... which it appears the ones in the video also have.

Chris