Kaypro System disks?

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Jul 2 19:47:38 CDT 2009

> Will a Kaypro really play nice with a
> 3.5" floppy drive? It never occurred to me to try it. I
> thought the floppy drivers under CP/M only knew about DD
> drives, and the bios on the boot disk was different between
> the various Kaypro models among other things to support the
> different floppies they had (SS/SD, SS/DD, DS/DD).

A 720K 3.5" IS a DD drive.
Depending on the specific model, the Kaypro will only see 40 tracks of the
3.5", and may or may not support using the second side.

There was substantial third party support (Advent? Micro Cornucopia, etc.)
for DS 80 track ("720K") drives on Kaypros.

One quirk about the Kaypro format, is that it puts an incorrect value in
the head number field of the sectors on the second side.  But, it doesn't
seem to object to a disk having the correct value there.

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com