Kaypro System disks?

Jim Brain brain at jbrain.com
Mon Jul 6 23:04:26 CDT 2009

Ethan Dicks wrote:

> Something you should probably do is take the lid off and record the
> number from the sticker on the boot ROM.  Long ago, when I got Kaypro
> disks directly from Don Maslin, he needed that number from me to know
> exactly what disk to send me.  My experience with CP/M and Kaypros is
> rather superficial so I can't say what's different from model to model
> or version to version, but I can report that knowing your exact
> machine configuration seems to be important.

The sticker says 81-478.

The mainboard is assembly #81-809, and has quite a few unstuffed
components in the upper right corner

According to this site:

http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Kaypro/Kaypro1.html

It uses the Universal ROM and must run CP/M 2.2U1

It's unclear to me which of the images on Dave's site would work.  I
suppose I can try all of them (the system disks from the KII, the K3*83,
the K4, and the K10), but I'm not sure if I'll know whether the issues
is an system mismatch or a drive issue.

Jim.