IBM 5150 PC

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Jul 8 19:01:28 CDT 2009

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Seth Morabito wrote:
> Oh, I take that back. I am a dimwit. It's got a Rev. 3 motherboard, on
> which is printed "64KB-256KB", and all the DRAM banks are filled, so I
> assume it's a 256KB system, NOT a 64KB system.

That motherboard can be trivially modified to support 2 rows of 256K, plus
2 rows of 64K (one of which is already soldered in.

That will give you 640K, which is plenty for ANYBODY.

> Unlike the 5160, the POST doesn't tell me how much RAM it has when it
> turns on, and I just incorrectly assumed it was 64KB.

try CHKDSK

You can run Windoze 3.00, but NOT 3.10 or newer.

PC-DOS 2.1x is a good choice for it, although some will tell you to run
5.00 or DR-DOS, etc.