Wanted: OS/2 version of Virtual PC

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 08:11:38 CDT 2009

2009/7/23 Cameron Kaiser <spectre at floodgap.com>:

>> > Neat. Did this ever see the light of day?
>>
>> Well, it was never released as a Connectix product - but Microsoft did
>> indeed release it, as a freebie even.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.aspx
>
> Oh, bleh. I was hoping there was a Mac version :)

>From MS?! Not a chance!

I believe it's not only possible to get Mac OS X running under a
hypervisor, but even that it's easier than doing so on "bare metal".
I've not tried myself, though. But either the PC OS of your choice in
a VM under OS X Server, or OS X Server in a VM under the PC OS of your
choice, is as close as you'll get.

Innotek's VirtualBox seems to be the free hypervisor of choice these
days, but the small-f free options, TTBOMK, summarise as:

 - VirtualBox from Sun ("full" freeware edition or limited FOSS
edition) under Linux, Windows or Mac OS X
 - QEMU (FOSS) with KQEMU module on x86 under Windows, Linux or Mac OS X
 - KVM (FOSS) on Linux on an x86 with hardware virtualisation
 - VirtualPC on Windows/x86, or VirtualServer on Windows Server/x86, from MS
 - VMware Player (can't create or edit VMs) or VMware Server (on
Windows or Linux) from VMware

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508