Fwd: Mystery object...

James Fogg james at jdfogg.com
Mon Jun 1 12:10:09 CDT 2009

> We've got a chap looking for an ID on the following - anyone got any
> ideas?
>
> http://www.classiccmp.org/acornia/tmp/mystery.jpg
>
> Photo dated May 27th 1947, apparently (so speculation so far is some form
> of
> relay-based controller rather than a computer, but that's merely a guess)

My guess would be it's something for handling/sorting airline tickets.
Until recently tickets were printed on card stock with various data fields
like mag stripes, barcodes and other things. I never flew until 1988 so I
don't know what they used prior, but it was probably similar, perhaps even
regular punched cards.

--
James -