PDP 11/73 on the Internet

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 08:35:47 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Josh Dersch <derschjo at mail.msu.edu> wrote:
> Hey All --
>
> So, instead of debugging my 11/40 last night I decided to get my 11/73
> running again since all it needed was to be put back together :).  Installed
> 2.11BSD on it...

Nice.  I have lots of experience with 2.9BSD, but I only have one or
two machines that could run 2.11BSD (and thanks to a fellow
listmember, my Pro380 has a new PSU, so is a likely target).

> from TK50 tape, and it was only slightly faster than the last
> time I installed it -- at 19.2kbps using vtserver :).

Nobody ever pulled over a TK50 for speeding.

> At any rate, it's online, so to speak, so if you feel like playing around,
> just telnet to yahozna.dyndns.org...

Neat.  Thanks!

> Is there a repository of source/binaries for stuff people have (back) ported
> to 2.11BSD?  I'm thinking of seeing if I can squeeze an older version of
> Apache on it if I ever find the time...

I don't know about anything as new as Apache (I can see the amount of
process-space memory being an issue and having to write overlays), but
for older BSD machines, I'd browse the old comp.sources.unix and
comp.sources.games repositories.

> (Specs, just in case anyone cares:
> 11/73 CPU,
> 2mb RAM,
> TK50 tape,
> DEQNA ethernet,
> TS11 -> M4 9 track (currently non functional)
> Emulex U07 SCSI -> SCSI->IDE bridge -> IBM Microdrive (4gb))

Nice.  The microdrive is a nice touch.  I should pick up a SCSI->IDE
bridge or two for such occasions (though my largest Microdrive is
340MB).

As a PDP-11 and BSD fan, let me say - nice job.

-ethan