PDP 11/73 on the Internet

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 10:42:46 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Pete Turnbull <pete at dunnington.plus.com> wrote:
> On 04/06/2009 15:26, Ethan Dicks wrote:
>
>> Living with the 16-bitness of the processor?  4BSD on a VAX was at one
>> point, "the pinnacle" of the UNIX experience ("All the world's a
>> VAX").  Massive address space, no need for overlays, etc.  2BSD is
>> more representative of what people went through before 1978, with
>> enough similarity to a modern environment that you can dabble without
>> getting lost (older UNIX is missing lots of stuff that most of us take
>> for granted anymore).
>
> On a couple of occasions I've taken a PDP-11/23plus with dual RL02s into
> Computer Science for Open Days, to show it running 7th Edition.  Always used
> to get a lot of interest, exactly because there's enough similarity that
> people can find their way around, but enough things missing that they notice
> (one of those things is speed, of course!).

Interesting, I didn't know a /23 could run V7--all I know for sure is
that it works on /45s and /70s. Do you know any other machines it runs
on? I'd like to try installing on my 11/73 (KDJ11-A) if possible.

John
--
"I've tried programming Ruby on Rails, following TechCrunch in my RSS
reader, and drinking absinthe. It doesn't work. I'm going back to C,