PDP 11/73 on the Internet

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Jun 4 12:43:35 CDT 2009

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 21:31:29 -0700
Josh Dersch <derschjo at mail.msu.edu> wrote:

> I figure it's rather unlikely it'll be hacked into
In 2001 I took my 11/73 running 2.11BSD with me to HAL2001 [1]. It was
connected to the network, telnet and FTP wide open, but nobody hacked
the machine. Either people stoped in awe, or they where simply unable
to hack PDP-11 assembler instead downloading the latest Linux root-kit.

> I'm thinking of seeing if I can squeeze an older
> version of Apache on it if I ever find the time...
Apache? OMG! How will you squeze this pice of bloat into a 16 bit
addres space, even with overlays? There are several "small" http
daemons out there. E.g. thttpd or bozohttpd.

[1] http://www.hal2001.org/
A few thousand hackers camping at a university campus, tents with
computers and everything networked... There is somthing similar going
on this year: https://har2009.org/
--

tschüß,
       Jochen