Classic mac fun (and some questions)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Jun 6 16:56:09 CDT 2009

On 6 Jun 2009 at 14:01, Fred Cisin wrote:

> "Floptical" drives
> The one that I was using was SCSI and did 20M floptical, and did 1.4M
> floppy.
>
> External SCSI ZIP drives were readily available.

I think I still have a 20MB Tulin 3.5" drive around somewhere.  And
there's always the Imation Superdrive available in SCSI.

In conventional floppies, Teac offered the FD-235HS 3.5" in SCSI.

And there were makers (Xebec, OMTI) of SCSI-to-floppy bridge cards.

SCSI floppies are fine as long as you don't need to get "creative"
with sector sizing and ID marks.  Remember that SCSI is essentially a
relative-block type of protocol, so you can forget about reading
those Microsoft DMF floppies.

--Chuck