[personal] Transistor Substitution

Mike Hatch mike at brickfieldspark.org
Tue Jun 9 03:05:39 CDT 2009

Given the age of most DEC equipment there will be lots of transistors that
will do the job. A quick Google with 2N3009 will come up with lots of info,
Eg this site http://qrp.kd4ab.org/1997/971031/0071.html lists 2N3009 as an
eqivalent to 2N2222 along with tons of others, any/most of which could be
suitable. within reason a switching application would be less critical about
spec changes than a precision analog application.
Look for the basic overall ratings to be similar, voltage, current, power
dissipation and gain. Package type is not so important until you get to the
larger power types, but watch for pinouts there are multiple variants of
TO92, TO18 and the rest, you might have to move legs around for an
equivalent.

You could go to the extent os setting up a small test rig & scope, get the
signal conditions for a 2N3009 and then test some others.

> Is there a basic resource for determining modern equivalents for older
> transistors and diodes? Can someone helpfully provide me with a clue here?
> :)
>
> Thanks!

Best regards,
Mike Hatch

Web - www.soemtron.org
PDP-7 - www.soemtron.org/pdp7.html
Email - mike at soemtron.org

Looking for a PDP-7 (some hope!)  and an ASR33