Atari 800xl Super Video 2.1 mod (and other video mods)

Ralph E. Dodd redodd at comcast.net
Wed Jun 10 08:08:13 CDT 2009

Subject: Re: Atari 800xl Super Video 2.1 mod (and other video mods)
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
<cctalk at classiccmp.org>

On Jun 9, 2009, at 10:21 PM, David Betz wrote:

> I recently acquired an Atari 800xl and would like to apply the Super
> Video 2.1 mod to get better video but have been unable to locate the
> description of how to do it anywhere on the web. I've done a google
> search and found many links to it but they all led to dead ends. Can
> someone point me to the article describing this mod?

>Okay, I finally managed to find the Super Video 2.1 instructions but
>now find that they seem to be in addition to the Super Video 2.0 mods
>rather than a newer version of them. I also find that some people
>recommend against making them but instead suggest some simpler mods to
>improve the 800xl video. Has anyone here had any experience with
>trying to improve the video output of the 800xl? What do you
>recommend? I'd like to at least enable the S-video output.

David,

I've done the Super Video 2.0 & 2.1 mods about 5 times now and it always works perfectly.  My brother has a 52" Samsung LCD and the picture is unbelievable!  The S-video output is perfect.  We had an Atari party and everyone wanted to know why the picture was so flawless.  I have no experience with the other mods, but I highly recommend the 2.0 & 2.1 mods.  Here's a link.

http://www.wolfpup.net/atarimods/supervid.html

Good luck and have fun.

Ralph