UNIX V7

Christian Kennedy chris at mainecoon.com
Thu Jun 11 14:54:36 CDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 12:44 PM, Josh Dersch wrote:

> Or having their laps burn off... I had a Macbook Pro and it was
> painful to use as a laptop due to the heat... :)

I have a trio of 17" Macbook Pros, all of which have demonstrated the
ability to maintain a surface temperature in excess of 100F at the
keyboard when used hard and one of which actually got so hot as to
warp the display such that the thing wouldn't stay shut.  I've had a
number of other heat-related failures on the machines as well, which
has me quite happy that I make a habit of forking over the cash for
AppleCare and ProCare.  Even then, the MTBF on the machines is better
than any Del or HP laptop that has crossed my desk.

I eventually got the hint and picked up a new eight-core MacPro for
doing real work and use the MBPs for less taxing tasks.
--
Chris Kennedy
chris at mainecoon.com             AF6AP