UNIX V7

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 11 15:37:29 CDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 4:17 PM, Kirn Gill wrote:
> In my experience, the difference between "workstation" and "server" is
> how you use it. A "server" is a computer running various daemons that
> make the "server" machine the central point for activity of network
> clients. Web server, FTP server, mail server, NIS server, NFS server,
> Samba server, etc. A "workstation" is everything else. Web browsing
> (MySpace), Solitaire, and Minesweeper.
>
> For me, "server" hardware (that meant to be used as a server and not a
> workstation) is just specialized workstation hardware designed to
> maximize processor and data throughput.

   It's more a matter of "computer" hardware being specialized to be
an effective workstation or an effective server.  There are big
differences, despite many people very commonly using workstations as
servers.

> Geneally, these machines are
> also undesirable to be used as workstations (nonstandard disk options
> [RAID arrays and lack of CD-ROM],

   RAID array is quite a common "standard" disk configuration on
servers.  I don't think I've seen a server in the past ten years that
didn't have an optical drive, though.

> lack of a local console, graphics
> that go no further than 2D hardware accel, or even standard VGA), but
> can seriously outperform most workstations and some gaming rigs.

   Graphics hardware has *no* place on a server.  The fact that many
servers have graphics hardware doesn't change this.  Though
admittedly it is somewhat of a matter of opinion, I have damn good
reasons for my opinion.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire