UNIX V7

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Thu Jun 11 17:06:44 CDT 2009

Kirn Gill wrote:
> Android? Performance? What kind of performance do you expect to get
> out of something mostly written in Java?

I've been using (and developing for) Android, and I've found the UI
performance to be comparable to most other phones.  The Android team put
a lot of effort into making their Dalvik VM efficient, even though it is
currently an interpreter without JIT.  (They might do JIT in a future
software release.)

Obviously if you're trying to do nuclear weapons simulation you're not
going to do it on Android, but for typical smart phone applications,
it's fine.

It's possible to write native methods if you really need something to
run faster, but it's not recommended since your app won't be portable to
Android platforms that use a different processor architecture.

Eric