iSCSI and friends, was Re: UNIX V7

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Thu Jun 11 17:22:06 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 12:51 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Jun 11, 2009, at 12:29 PM, John Finigan wrote:
> > iSCSI makes up (in a clumsy way) for a lack of a "first class citizen"

>    Eh.  (and this is WAY OT)  iSCSI is kinda interesting; I've been
> working with it quite a bit lately.

Have you seen ATAoE?  It is, as the name implies, ATA over Ethernet.
Unlike the 300-page mail-order catalogue of the iSCSI spec, the ATAoE
spec is eight pages, mostly taken up with diagrams showing an ATA packet
wrapped inside an Ethernet frame.

I toyed briefly with the idea of writing an ATAoE target for the PDP11.
Not sure if I could port it to OS/2, though, or make it talk to TK50s.

Gordon.