Interesting IBM 5150... or something

Marvin Johnston marvin at west.net
Fri Jun 12 00:35:46 CDT 2009

> From: Warren Wolfe <lists at databasics.us>

> Oh, for Pete's sake, a Tempest terminal, right when we're talking about
> classified info.  Just so you know, this one is compromised by the
> insecure monitor (I think - it should be MUCH bigger, and not plastic,
> if Tempest approved) and the non-Tempest keyboard.  "Tank-like" is a
> very concise description.

The Tempest 5150 (or whatever the Tempest designation was for the IBM
XT) that I have looks like a regular B&W monitor. When I took off the
cover, the shielding became apparent :).

It has been quite a few years since I looked at it, but I believe the
Tempest IBM XT I have is complete including Tempest keyboard and monitor.