Windows for critical infrastructure (was Re: UNIX V7)

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 10:03:28 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 7:30 AM, William Donzelli<wdonzelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This sounds untrue at best. There are several reasons but among them,
>> no captain worth his salt is going to let his boat be towed back to
>> dock unless all the engines have disappeared.
>
> Don't bother arguing with these people. They really want to believe
> only very incomplete version of the story as told by CNN and the news
> networks, because it fits nicely into their anti-Windows religion.
> They like to ignore things like official reports, retractions of
> claims, and basic things like maritime engineering, the way captains
> run their ships, and how engineering systems are developed in the
> Navy.
>
> --
> Will

Don't bother arguing with these Windows people. They really want to
believe only very incomplete versions of the story as told by Bill
Gates and the Windows advertising, because it fits nicely into their
MS religion. They like to ignore things like performance, reliability,
and basic things like quality of software engineering, the way people
run their computers, and how better operating systems were developed
at Bell Labs.

;-)

I'm at a supercomputing conference right now; Linux and OS X
everywhere, with the scattered Windows laptop. It's so cute how
Microsoft is trying to get into HPC... happily they didn't even bother
to come to this conference, although it might have made a fun
break--the only thing sillier than full-blown Linux on HPC hardware is
full-blown Windows on HPC hardware. At the last HPC conference I
attended, they wanted to run a cluster of Windows Server 2003; of
course they also wanted to charge for the software by the core
(impractical in things like the 65,000+ core BlueGenes, which would
cost millions to license).

John
--
"I've tried programming Ruby on Rails, following TechCrunch in my RSS
reader, and drinking absinthe. It doesn't work. I'm going back to C,