cleaning momentary push button switches

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 14 12:52:25 CDT 2009

> Hi,
>
> I've got an old piece of test equipment that has momentary push button
> switches which are the primary "input" or control.  While most of them
> seem to work, many of them are sticky, mushy, and just don't have a
> positive click.

You haven't given us much to go on :-). There must me thousands of
different types of pushbutton switches used on test equipment. A
make/model of the equipnet and any markings on the switches could be a
help. A description of the swtich would be useful...

Some swithces can be dismantled non-desturctively. If so, take them
apart, you can then clean the contacts. Where you can restore the 'click'
is another matter, sometimes bending some part will do it. FWIW, the
meral from a coke can (or similar) can sometimes be used for make the
'click washer'.

Clean the parts with something lijke propan-2-ol (isopropanol). It
doesn't attack most plastics, and it doesn't leave anythibng behind. I
would not apply lubricants.

> I'm not totally adverse to simply replacing them --- assuming I could
> find an exact match.

That's what I would do, if I could get soemthing that would fit without
modifications. Again, we'd need to know a bit more about the switches...