Any PACE users out there?

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sun Jun 14 15:03:56 CDT 2009

The PACE was National Semiconductor's first single-chip 16-bit
microprocessor.  Its architecture was similar to National's earlier
IMP-16 multichip processor, which in turn was inspired by the Data
General Nova architecture.

Godbout designed and advertised a PACE system, and built a prototype,
but never put it into production.  PACE never caught on with hobbyists,
possibly because it was slower than the more common 8-bit processors.
PACE, and the later INS8900 NMOS version, did get used in some embedded
systems.

In May I wrote an assembler and simulator for the PACE, and typed in the
published source code for PACE FIG-Forth.  I found and corrected a bug
in the U/ word.

In case anyone actually has a PACE system, I've put the sources online:

    http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/retrocomputing/national/pace/figforth/

I'm not quite ready to publish my assembler and simulator, though if
anyone feels an urgent need for such things, let me know.

Eric