what are these?

Bill Sudbrink wh.sudbrink at verizon.net
Wed Jun 17 15:01:04 CDT 2009

Jules Richardson wrote:
> David Griffith wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Jun 2009, Brian Lanning wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/2-VINTAGE-EXTERNAL-5-25-FLOPPY-DRIVES_W0QQitemZ200353772286QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=
item2ea603f2fe&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%> 3A50

> >> One looks like the single sided floppy drives
> >> that came with the 5150.  The other looks like
> >> it's from another planet.  I originally though
> >> it was a QIC tape drive, but the shot inside
> >> the drive opening shows the slots along the side
> >> to hold the floppy disks.
> >
> > I sold one of these back in April.  Here's the
> > old auction page:
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330321345663
>
> I've seen 8" drives like that; I'm not sure if there
> was any reasoning behind it (possibly other than the
> original designer either being in a hurry or fresh
> out of college), but it looks like they simply took
> the 8" variant and washed it until it shrunk enough
> to take 5.25" media ;)

That's it exactly.  It is the 8 inch mechanism reduced
to 5 1/4 inch.  Only ever made by MPI as far as I can
tell.  Ohio Scientific used MPI 5 1/4 inch drives with
that mechanism for most of their time in business.