Hardware Hobbyists vs. Emulator Jockeys

Dan Roganti ragooman at comcast.net
Wed Jun 17 18:44:36 CDT 2009

Jim Brain wrote:
> Just because I'm curious:
>
> How do folks feel about those who are interested in extending the life
> of vintage machines by integrating them with newer technologies?
> That's my interest, allowing both existing and a new class of users to
> enjoy a vintage platform by making it easy to utilize the vintage
> platform with contemporary ones.

I don't see why new users can't enjoy the same original hardware as
those of use who grew up on this. I disagree with using newer
technologies up to a certain point. Whether you want to restore some
files with a modern disk drive because you might be without enough
equipment or build a new cpu design by mixing in modern components.

I think you get to experience the thoughts and nuances when using
original parts in a computer design created 30/40 yrs ago - as in, how
to test,program,debug,etc  the original hardware. What's the point in
restoring vintage equipment of you like to 'circumvent' the original
design by using something which didn't exist for that particular era. As
in the case of using a replacement modern drive to sustain an existing
system, is reasonable, but it's more fun to find something original
afterwards. It might be expensive for some to buy 8" floppy drives now,
but you can still get 5-1/4" floppy drives inexpensively. The
alternative drive systems using faster drives and GB of storage , I
think, just loses appeal with the aspect of restoring vintage hardware -
I think it shows you have less patience for old hardware.

It's so easy to mix in modern components in an IC design - heaven forbid
if people want to gut their transistors machines and install a cards
replaced with 7474 dual FF chips. Using modern technology is the easy
way out - try learning how it was done then. I do think some people like
to wonder at work involved with the vintage technology still.

=Dan