Any PACE users out there?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jun 17 21:23:48 CDT 2009

On 17 Jun 2009 at 18:35, bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca wrote:

> Hey for fun I was thinking of taking some transistors, octal coil
> holders and plastic covers to make a 'solid state tube'.  The heat
> sinks would look like Seleium recitfiers  fins... :) Ben

I don't know if it was ever done for active circuits, but solid-state
"tubes"  for the old 0Z4 cold-cathode gas recitifer found in auto
radios (with vibrator supply) were very popular as you didn't get any
RF "hash" in the sound.  Same sort of fixture for other common
rectifier types, such as 5Y4.

I recall when the early silicon recifiers came in little ceramic
cartridges, held in fixtures that looked like fuse holders.  IR used
to advertise kits to replace various selenium rectifiers.  At least
silicon didn't stink when it went bad.

--Chuck