Any PACE users out there?

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Thu Jun 18 05:57:46 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 01:04 -0300, Alexandre Souza wrote:
> > Alexandre Souza wrote:
> >>    I'd **love** to have one of these, principally FREE :o)
> > One problem with taking advantage of a PACE chip (free or otherwise) is
> > that the I/O pads aren't compatible with TTL, or with much of anything
> > else either.  The specs are very strange.  National made some buffer and
> > transceiver chips designed to work with it, but of course they are even
> > more like unobtanium these days than the PACE itself.  I suspect that
> > the easiest thing to interface to it nowdays would be CD4000B series
> > CMOS logic, which is extremely slow, but then so is the PACE.
>
>     No, I'm not talking about the PACE chip, but the keyfob with the 386 die
> encased in plastic :o)
>
>     I never got to encase in resin a chip and make it crystal clear. I tried
> many many times with no success :(

My fiancee has done that, with a couple of resistors, an SSM2044
analogue filter IC (dead) and the knackered ceramic resonator from the
memory board on my old PDP-11.

The answer seems to be to use a clear-coat lacquer with the same
refractive index as the resin to smooth over the bumpy surfaces.  Pics
and further instructions from when she gets back from the crafts
store ;-)

Gordon