Hardware Hobbyists vs. Emulator Jockeys

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Jun 18 16:57:31 CDT 2009

Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Jun 18, 2009, at 2:19 PM, Tony Duell wrote:
> > I've heard a rumour that early 723 data sheets only show it as a
> > linear
> > regulator, the designers didn't realise it could be used as a
> > switcher.
> > After it started getting used in the latter configuration, example
> > circuits were added to the data sheet. Does anyone have an early
> > 723 data
> > sheet which doesn't show a swtiching regulator circuit?
>
>    I have some pretty old NS databooks; I will check.

One datapoint: Motorola Linear 1976, MC1723 datasheet shows a switching config.

National Application Notes AN1(1967), AN8(1968) and AN2(1969) show the LM100
regulator IC in switching configs.
The LM100 looks like the predecessor to the 723, a reference and error amp in
one package. It disappears from later databooks, presumably obsoleted by the 723.