new crappy components

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Jun 18 18:03:08 CDT 2009

"bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca" wrote:

> Brent Hilpert wrote:
> > Chuck Guzis wrote:
> >> Actually, it seems as if NEW caps are just as bad if not worse.
> >> Chinese capacitor disease seems to be a pandemic.
> >
> > One of the few remaining local parts retailers just switched resistor brands
> > after many years. The new ones are visibly crap
> > (but apparently they 'sound cleaner' to the audioph**les who are some
> > significant portion of his market).
>
> What are they ... I am building a amp and just using 1/2 watt carbon composition
> for everything but power resistors.

For 15 years he was selling a grey-body metal-film resistor which seemed of
reasonable or good quality, at least they were consistent and reliable. I think
they were Philips.

The new ones are a deep-blue-body (not flame-proofs) carbon-film type. Aside
from the difficulty in distinguishing some color codes against the deep-blue of
the body (leading to packaging errors, like 47K's in the bag of 4.7K's), the
visible problem is that a fair portion of them out-of-the-bag have the final
protective coating formed into drips as they dried and too thin in spots (one
can see the resistive helix). They do not inspire confidence. I don't know the
actual manufacturer.