PCjr Telnet BBS Test

Michael B. Brutman mbbrutman-cctalk at brutman.com
Sat Jun 20 18:16:53 CDT 2009

Andrew Burton wrote:
> Well, you did want us to test it out and try and break it, lol.
> Just glad I didn't bring it down completely.
> Is there a way to adjust the retransmit time depending on user location, or is that impossible / too complicated?
> Or will it be more friendly to everyone once it is increased a little?
>

> Regards,
> Andrew B
> aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk

Cosam and I were talking about it and the right neurons fired in my brain.

Back in December I made a change to the way I measure elapsed time.  The
change gave me like a 30% performance improvement because my original
code was so bad, and the new code was counting timer ticks which is
pretty easy.  When I made the change I changed all of my units of time
measurement from 100ths of seconds to milliseconds.

Except in the configuration file that defines the timeouts for the BBS. :-)

The result is that I'm retransmitting packets if I don't get an
acknowledgment in 0.4 seconds, not the 4 seconds that I intended.  Which
  explains why your particular modem connection was driving the
retransmits so hard.  Most broad-band users don't have that problem.

It's not bad enough to stop and restart the BBS, but it definitely is
exercising that path in the code pretty hard.

Mike