How to lose most of an an entire collection in one shot

Warren Wolfe lists at databasics.us
Sun Jun 21 16:49:41 CDT 2009

Tony Duell wrote:
> Sure, but most HP machines have HPIB :-). The HP120 doesn't properly
> support the HPIB port in the BIOS (IIRC there's no BIOS function to read
> from an HPIB device) so you pretty much have to talk to the 9914
> directly. Not a big problem, but if you get it into the wrong state you
> may find you can no longer talk to the disk drives.

Yes, that's true.

> For talking to instruments, I prefer to use an HP9000/200 machine with a
> second HPIB port (HP98624). Firstly there's much better standard software
> support for the HPIB interface, and secondly, if one of the instruments
> 'hangs the bus' (likely in my case as I might well be repairing said
> instrument), I can still talk to the disks.

Second ports are always nice.

> And then there's the attributesm which are set on a character line basis.
> Basically, every character is either normal or enhanced (decided by bit 7
> of the chracter code). You can only have one type of enhancement in a
> given line. So you could have normal and underlined characters in the
> same line, but you can't have normal, inverse, and underlined characters
> all in the same line.

Okay, I'll grant you that was a bit weird.  Honestly, though, it was
never an issue for me, or the original owner.

> Another problem is that AFAIK there's no official way for a CP/M program
> to set the parameters of the serial ports (not even the 'printer' port).
> The serial chips are on the terminal processor bus, there's no direct way
> for the application processor to talk to them. There's an undocumented
> way to run code on the terminal processor (in that at least one HP
> application does that), but I can't find out how to do it.

I don't know how 'official' it was, but I had PORTSET.COM which directly
set up the serial port from the CP/M side.  Er, it RAN on the CP/M side,
and set up the ports.

> I'd much rather have an HP9000/200....

An attorney's office near me had the HP-125.  When they upgraded, I got
their old system for a song.  Nobody I knew was getting rid of an
HP9000/200.  This was before eBay, and I really didn't have a good way
to find specific equipment.  One takes what's available.  Still and all,
I very much enjoyed using it, and it was the first machine I had that
would be a reasonable terminal, HPIB controller, AND general purpose
computer.  Also, they were SLEEK.  So, scoff if you want, but I liked it
just fine.  It probably would have been more difficult than average to
repair hardware problems on it, but in about 15 years, I never had one.

Warren