How to lose most of an an entire collection in one shot

Rik Bos hp-fix at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 22 15:38:41 CDT 2009

Is it for the Graphic coprocessor ?
That's an external unit you place next to the system unit, it connects to
somekind of bus extender board with a flatcable.

> > I just fixed a 16Mb memoryboard for my 360 by reverse eng.
> the memory
> > decoding and buffering circuits.
> > The interface board contains 1 big pga i/o chip
> (propriarity hp) but
> > the rest is TTL and some LSI-chips.
>
> Custom LSI, or things I might have heard of? It's not the PGA
> package I oject to per se, rather it's the fact I can't get
> data or replacements for some of the ICs.

One custom LSI I think it's the I/O controller.
The others are Lance Ethernet Ti HP-IB controller HIL-chip, serial
controller 1820-3623 and some other standaard interface chips. The only one
that would bother you would be the HP 1TQ4-0401.
I'll make some pictures this week and put them on flickr so you can look at
them.

> > The hi-res video boards are build from pga's and ram, but
> you use also
> > older video boards Or plant a 68030 acceleratorboard in a
> HP 9816, you
> > wouldn't beleivbe your eyes how fast the thing gets then ;-)
>
> I can believe it :-). Actually the 12.5MHz 68010 in the
> 9836CU and 9817 feels noticeably faster than the normal 8MHz
> 68000. I assume it's just due to the 1.5* clock speed.
>

> > The 345/375 and 382 types are more 'modern'and build in SMD
> with a lot
> > of special function chips.
> > But the 345 has a 68040 emulator board wit a 68030 implemented.
> >
> > So please don't throw them all away because of a few pga's ;-)
>
> As if I would :-)

I know.

> > I worked on mine it had a bad video/terminal ram chip,
> thanks to the
> > diagnostic LED's it was easy to find.
>
> Right.
>
> > With not very handy I was refering to the use of the
> machine, and it
> > is big takes a lot of space.
>
> Yes, I ahev a 2623 terminal (same case) somewhere -- I
> borrowed the keyboard from it as a possible keyboard for the
> HP120 (I described that work a couple of months back). I must
> extract the terminal iteself sometime and have a serious look
> at the insides.

I know was fun reading the story.
Hardware problems are always 'fun' ;-)

> -tony