hard drive compatibility

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jun 26 12:36:49 CDT 2009

On Jun 26, 2009, at 1:29 PM, Keith wrote:
> Let me see if the BIOS lets me pick PIO.

   I have a hunch that Chuck's suggestion of DMA modes is correct.
The BIOS won't have anything to do with it, though...Linux (along
with most other operating systems) doesn't use the BIOS routines to
access disks, it controls the hardware directly.

   I think you can pass kernel parameters (via your boot
manager...lilo, grub, etc) to restrict DMA modes.  Google is your
friend on that one.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire