the fallacy of modernity [was RE: chiclassiccomp.org was Re: Mysterious website]

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 13:13:18 CDT 2009

On 6/29/09, Rich Alderson <RichA at vulcan.com> wrote:
>> Besides the obvious modern dirty meaning of the word, there is another.
>                       ??????

I was meaning the modern use of the word to refer not merely to "dung"
but as slang for coprophilia, which is how the word has been used
widely on the internet in recent years.

> The use of the word "scat" to mean "ordure, dung" goes back several
> centuries.
> It is a learned borrowing, from the ancient Greek _skOr_, _skatos_,[1] of
> the same meaning

Yes.  I've taken ancient Greek and read/write/speak modern Greek.  The
word is still in use on the streets of Greece in a recognizable form.

-ethan