OT: deliberate mis-spelling

Bob Bradlee caveguy at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 30 09:34:48 CDT 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:11:38 +0100, Adrian Graham wrote:

>COMPAQ originally stood for 'COMPAtability with Quality' because of their
>IBM-copyright busting compatible BIOS. That's the official line anyhoo :)

I have no reason to dispute any official story/reason ....

Does not change the fact that the spelling Compaq was not in common use until they registered it as a
trademark and now it has attained exclusive use in a wide range of products and services.

While it is possiable to get a common name registered as a trademark, it requires the common word be
used in an uncommon way and a good lawyer :-)

later
Bob