YouTube video to repair screen rot

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 1 14:50:16 CST 2009

> Dig out your RCA Receiving Tube handbook and look at the TV picture

Alas over here Philips CRT dataooks are more common...

> > Yes, this would worry me also. Unless you know the exact reason for how
> > the CRT was originally assembled, I would have though you shouldn't
> > change anything.
>
> Atmospheric pressure is about 1 Kg/cm2, so the pressure on a 27 inch
> CRT faceplate isn't negligible.  I'd be concerned.

It's considerale even for a 12" CRT (as used in most terminals)

Assuming a 4:3 screen aspect ratio, the sides and diagonal go as a 3:4:5
triangle. So the height is 3/5*12", the width 4/5*12".

So the screen area is 3*12*4*12/(5*5) or 69.12 square inches. Atmospheric
pressure is about 14psi. So a total force on the screen of 968 or so
pounds. Since there are 2240 pounds in a ton, that['s about 0.43 of a
ton. Not inconsiderable.