Powering up a 20-year old MicroVAX II

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Mon Mar 2 18:06:45 CST 2009

On 02/03/2009 18:37, Tony Duell wrote:

> While I beleive there are SMPSUs that fail if turned on with no/insufficient
> load, I've yet to meet one.

The small switcher in DEC's TK50 tabletop box does exactly that.  I got
to sort through a pallet-load of the things once, and got to keep
several that looked repairable.  Well, they were, but at least two had
to be repaired twice because I forgot to hook up the minimum load board
that the TK50-AA box usually has.

However, I have to admit that's the only time I've been bitten in that
way, and the PSU in a BA23 certainly shouldn't get too upset by a
no-load situation.  I'd guess it's just lost a mains filter cap.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager