CompuPro CPU-68000

Mark Davidson mdavidson1963 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 01:22:02 CDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Michael Hart <imsaicollector at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Now that you mentioned I think I may revisit making a 16MB board for the S100 bus for my upcoming LINUX port. The amount of headache I am having getting what I want is becoming a bit too much.
>
> I'm interested in hearing more about your Linux port.  I don't have
> any S-100 stuff (I gave away everything I got from Software Results
> years ago), but I do still have a pile of our 68000 and 68010-based
> products, the schematics, PAL equations, application and firmware
> source, etc.  I have enough boards that if there was something
> interesting to do with them (besides being intelligent Qbus, Unibus
> and VAXBI synchronous serial controllers), I could blow some new
> firmware and turn them into hobby boards.
>
> As it is, all of our products were designed to have a "payload"
> application dumped onto them when starting a new serial link, so the
> ROM code is pretty much only smart enough for simple diagnostics and
> receiving a new "front end program".  We didn't have an OS, just a
> monolithic app for each board and serial protocol (HASP, 3780, and SNA
> PU Type 2).  The earliest boards (c. 1982) really just run a state
> machine written in assembler to pump serial streams out the serial
> chip and blocked data over the Unibus DMA interface, and occasionally
> something out the printer port.  Later stuff got much more involved
> and had much more memory, more ports, etc.
>
> With all that time spent in that realm, I'm always interested in
> hearing what folks are doing with the 68K.

Not that this is on the same topic, but I've always wondered about the
boards from companies like Sritek... if memory serves, they (and at
least one other company) had these 680x0 (or in some cases, NS32x32)
based ISA boards for PCs that allowed you to run BSD Unix (or another
Unix port), using the PC for I/O and storage.

When these were on the market, I could never afford one, and I only
remember the advertisements.  Has anyone ever played with one of these
(or even remember them)?

Mark