Flexowriter lubrication

Roger Holmes roger.holmes at microspot.co.uk
Fri Mar 20 07:22:08 CDT 2009

None of my recent posts have made it into the digests (probably
because Hewlett Packard sent me a security certificate) but most
topics are now stale so I wont bore you with things like 160 column
cards, but I will retry this one:

One of my Flexowriters has just had its mains cable replaced and then
turned on for the first time in about 25 years. Apart from surface
rust and the printing levers not going back down, and the ribbon
breaking, it seemed to work fine. Does anyone know what grade(s) of
oils/greases to use on which parts? The rubber parts and carriage
return band even seem good but would probably not appreciate dunking
the whole thing in oil. I guess WD40 or "3 in 1" oil would be out
because I've been told they both leave a residue. I have not seen
anyone selling 'light machine oil' for a few years here in the UK but
there must be a modern version surely.