dec vaxen on GSA auctions (NASA JPL)

Paxton Hoag innfoclassics at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 22:37:43 CDT 2009

> I was checking out some of the auctions on the site and there are some
> at NASA Ames that look interesting.

I thought that too. For me the sun lot...

> Since I've never bid/bought
> anything from this site, does anyone have any
> pointers/warnings/helpful info to pass along?

Inspect if you can make it to one. Few people do and it can easily get
you an edge. Often they won't let you tear the pallets wrap open but
it gives you an idea of what really is in the lot. And to estimate how
much truck or trailer space is needed to move the lot.

check for missing screws, cases opened & read the stickers on the equipment.

Call ahead for both inspections and pickups. GSA usually requires that.

Ask if they have a forklift or loading dock to load. If not bring a
truck with a lift gate (preferably a railgate) and a pallet jack. A
low trailer works for just a few pallets when they don't have a

Check to see if the pallets are secure. While they are shrink wrapped
often they can move around in travel. Strap well.

I have never bought anything from Ames, just here in the northwest. If
it is a military base they often have special access rules. Again call
ahead.

Good Luck
Paxton

--