Old Timers [was: CompuPro CPU-68000]

M H Stein dm561 at torfree.net
Sun Mar 22 15:16:08 CDT 2009

-------------Original Message:
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:31:32 -0700
From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
Subject: Re: Old Timers [was: CompuPro CPU-68000]

On 21 Mar 2009 at 15:50, Jim Battle wrote:

> Chuck, that was spoken like a true old-timer, but your derision is
> laughable.  "Hey, you damn verilog coders, get off my lawn!"
>
> I'm surprised, as you saw the transition from tubes to transistors to
> ICs, so it shouldn't shock you that the next evolution of integration
> requires just as much engineering and intelligence, although the
> problems to be solved are somewhat different.

Oh, I was trying to be humorous about it.  I write Verilog too; it's
fun in its own way.

I could just have easily grumbled about ... laying out 14 AWG busbar on
mahogany breadboards between surface-mount (meaning that they're
attached with woodscrews) components.

Times change, and all too frequently, we don't.  All we can do is
grumble.

--Chuck

Aw, some folks just don't get irony and subtle humour...

But you're right: I never thought about it but we've come full circle with
surface-mount techniques; I wonder if royalties are being paid...