I [don't] hate E-Bay (was Cromemco 68000 on ebay)

jim s jws at jwsss.com
Tue Mar 31 16:33:04 CDT 2009

Eric J Korpela wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Jeff Walther <trag at io.com> wrote:
>

> <snip>
> Yeah, we wouldn't want a system that is fair to both buyers and sellers.

it is not a question of fairness.  I just do not want the amount of
money I have to spend to acquire an item to be controlled by someone
whose behavior is easily avoided by just not giving them a chance to
evaluate, change mind, be irrational, you call it.

Also, if the behavior is irrational,  the why would there be such a call
for a procedure nearer to a live auction, such as extending time based
on last bid, rather than an absolute schedule.  This would make it
impossible to avoid this other than simply not to purchase in auctions,
but in the buy / offer sales ebay offers.

I have listed all of my current items for sale using the buy it now /
offer, so that I can guarantee a sale for the value I need, or the
potential buyer can give me an offer, which I can evaluate.  I am
liquidating lab equipment, and am not at liberty to take whatever the
market decides to offer on a lot of the equipment.

For my personal items, I would auction them, but the buy it now is a
good tool as well.  Also before someone points out the reserve, ebay
charges a lot for  reserve auction now, so the buy it now is cheaper.
One can also leave a sale up till complete, or for 30 days.

Jim