More broken Apples...

Warren Wolfe lists at databasics.us
Fri May 1 18:37:28 CDT 2009

Fred Cisin wrote:
> On Fri, 1 May 2009, Tony Duell wrote:
>
>> Far too often, things that are 'easy to use' (really meaning 'easy to
>> learn') make simple jobs trivial, but difficult jobs next-to-impossible.
>> Since I don't generally have problems doing simple jobs, you can tell
>> which sort of product I prefer...
>>

> Strangely, I could never get that idea across to Jef Raskin.
I was shocked at how many people believed that the value of a word
processing program was inversely proportional to the time it took a
brain-damaged chimpanzee (or novice user, whichever is more convenient)
to crank out a thank you note for the first time.  That was it, end of
story.  I would always ask questions, and almost always just got a blank
stare in reply:

Don't you want a program that lets you improve your efficiency?

Will you always be a total noob, or do you expect to understand your
computer one day?

How fast are good typists who use this program?

Are there "speed keys" for any of these functions?

Warren