The IBM (I've Been Mulling) PC

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu May 7 20:45:31 CDT 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> On 7 May 2009 at 12:09, Warren Wolfe wrote:
>
>> ... It took
>> a while for it to register that the PC market was going to be big with
>> business, but when it did, the 400 pound bear started moving....
>
> Actually, it wasn't the IBM PC, XT, AT or PS/2 that established the
> market, but rather the proliferation of cheap far east clones.  A
> Taiwanese "XT" couldn't be touched as far as bang for the buck.

I would agree with that.  When it was only the IBM 5150 and 5160 on
the market, they had a presence and commanded a certain amount of
attention in the trade press, but the sales numbers were low.  It was
a while (years, ISTR) before the dollar amount of 5150s sold exceeded
the dollar amount of C-64s sold, and it took a bit longer before the
total number of PC clones sold exceeded the total number of C-64s
sold.

As a data point, a real IBM 5170 PC-AT was $5,000-$6,000, loaded
(color graphics, printer, and hard drive).  Clones were easily 2/3rds
that and sold in great numbers.

-ethan