Casio AI-1000 info...

Philip Belben philip at axeside.co.uk
Sat May 9 12:26:22 CDT 2009

>> Does anyone have any detailed information on the Casio AI-1000?  This
>> is (was) a pocket-sized computer in the vein of those old BASIC
>> handhelds, except it's programmable in Lisp, of all things...  I'm
>> interested in what it's capable of, it just looks like a neat little
>> device but there's not a lot of detail out there other than basic
>> hardware specs.
>
>   Really...?  I've never heard of this.  It sounds like a WHOLE lot of
> fun!  Please share any information that you may find.
>
>> And of course if anyone has one they're just gonna throw away, drop me
>> a line :).

I'm afraid mine isn't for the throwing away just yet, but I'll stand in
line for the info - any info - if people have it!

I got the machine a few years ago when a friend of a friend emigrated to
the US and left his classic computer collection behind.  (In fact I got
most of the collection, because I was the only one in that circle who
could afford the storage space.  But I digress...)

It programs in LISP.  It has a japanese text editor in which you type
phonetics on the QWERTY keyboard and it generates appropriate syllable
characters from one of the Japanese writing systems.  I never discovered
how to edit a LISP program, so correcting mistakes was rather frustrating...

I bought a book on microcomputer LISPs, and the programming examples
worked, but it used none of the editing methods in the machine-specific
appendices.

A word of warning.  This machine is not fast.  Even a quite simple LISP
program can take a while to run.

Philip.