cctalk Digest, Vol 69, Issue 29

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun May 17 04:24:22 CDT 2009

cctalk-request at classiccmp.org wrote:
> Message: 26
> Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 12:31:25 -0400
> From: Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: DEC ST506 Interface Adapter Part No 54-17003-01
> To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
> 	<cctalk at classiccmp.org>

>> > Surely, it's possible to hack an RQDX3 controller's ROM to support arbitrary geometries?
>
> The geometries aren't in the RQDXn ROMs - the formatter application
> writes them to the disk during the formatter process.
>
> There are three VAX formatters I know of - the ROMs on a VS/uV2000,
> the Customer Runnable Diagnostics (CRD) and the Field Service
> diagnostics.
>
> I know the CRD formatter only allows you to select known drives from a
> menu table and the Field Service formatter allows you to enter
> arbitrary values (i.e., has a menu plus a fill-in page).  The
> ROM-based formatter on the VS/uV2000 was the one I appear to have
> mis-remembered the capabilities of.
>
> No hacking of the RQDX3 is required, just selection of the right
> formatter application.

However, all information is not just located on the disk either.
The RQDX1 and RQDX2 use a format that is incompatible with the RQDX3. In
order to use an RD52 (for instance) that has been formatted on a RQDX2
on a RQDX3, you need to reformat it...

Also, an RQDX1 or RQDX2 cannot control an RD54. No matter what
formatting program you use. You need the RQDX3 for that.

	Johnny