Datasheet: Yamaha YM7109C?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu May 21 22:15:02 CDT 2009

On 21 May 2009 at 21:42, William Donzelli wrote:

> > For those of you with big datasheet collections, does anyone have
> > data for a Yamaha YM7109C?  A pinout would be sufficient.  40 pin
> > DIP- -it seems to be some sort of DSP.  Circa 1990.
>
> DSP, for sound generation? Most Yamaha chips are undocumented.

Nope--DSP for FAX modem.  Mentioned in July 1990, EDN:

"Compatible with the company's widely used YM7109 chip, the YM7109E
fax modem IC features enhancements such as error-correction and power-
down modes, as well as synchronization to an external clock. The CMOS
IC, which is targeted for use in personal-computer fax boards and
portable-fax applications, offers 9600-bps binary file transfers and
supports voice recording and playback."

I figure that if someone says the chip is "widely used", someone must
at least have a pinout...

--Chuck